Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Speaking at Monadnock Writers' Group Feb 20th

For those of you within striking distance, you might be interested in joining me and a large group of New England writers at the Monadnock Writers' Group's monthly meeting on Saturday morning, February 20 starting at 9:45 am at the Peterborough Town Library in downtown Peterborough.  I'll be speaking on the process of story development--how to analyze and develop initial ideas as they float into your consciousness and begin to take on shape and size.

Over the years I've developed a series of tests and exercises that I think are beneficial to apply to your initial story ideas to see if they hold the basic ingredients necessary to bring your tales fully to life. And I've found that the same basic approach serves playwrights, screenwriters, and all fiction writers. I'll be talking about this pre-draft exploratory work and sharing some of the results achieved by my script clients and MFA writing students.

Now that the New Hampshire primary is finally history, you might find it interesting to join us if you're in the area.  Again, it's the Monadnock Writers' Group's monthly gathering from 9:45 am till noon on Saturday, February 20, 2016 at the Peterborough Town Library, 2 Concord Street in downtown Peterborough.  This is the same village where I hold my MFA residencies and there are a number of lovely restaurants nearby if you decide to make a day of it.  Peterborough is a very special place for many reasons, not the least of which is its New England charm and its cultural history and awareness.  After all, legend has it that Thorton Wilder wrote his classic Our Town in a downtown office a stone's throw from the library.

                                   *                    *                   *                   *

I'm the Program Director of the low-residency MFA in Writing for Stage and Screen being offered by the New Hampshire Institute of Art.  Our next residency runs January 3-11, 2016 and we are now considering applications for starting the program with our July 2016 residency that runs July 18-28.  I'm also a playwright and screenwriter, producing partner in my production company Either/Or Films (The Sensation of Sight and Only Daughter), and a professional script consultant 

No comments:

Post a Comment